Friends are here for a long weekend and we discover a new walk just over the hill that takes us through a pine forest to reveal great views of the loch…
Oh dear. I got up in the middle of the night, towel in hand to catch a perennial drip from above our bedroom window and quickly discovered that ‘drip’ was an understatement. It was raining inside the house…
This is now an intermittent problem above 5 different windows, depending on which way the wind is blowing. It’s essentially down to the fact that a lot of the exterior walls need repointing. We’d hoped to get some of this work done during the summer (see The drip drip effect – Feb 16) but I’m afraid lack of funds put paid to that.
Ed and I joke that whenever a quote comes in for a big job on the house, we can safely predict the outcome – we can’t afford it! The cost of repointing just the east wall, including replacing a lintel, sadly didn’t prove us wrong. I guess it’s because everything here is on such a large scale.
We did make a happy discovery recently though; it turns out our roofer can do lime pointing and he also owns his own zip tower which he can get up and down in a day, and attend to anything urgent. This way we can keep the leaks at bay for a reasonable cost, until we can afford to do a more comprehensive job.
I think interior rain falls into the category of ‘urgent’ – so he’s coming tomorrow.
After several weeks of plumbing work the hot water in the main wing is at last connected to the new biomass boiler. This has meant getting rid of 2 immersion heaters, re-routing some original pipework and putting in a load of new pipes that run from the boiler house up to a huge new tank in the roof space – and all the way back down again.
The house, as Ed puts it, is getting a bit ‘pipey’. We tried to find the route of least resistance and managed to avoid any of the grand rooms – but some of the corridors are suffering. It’s a perennial problem in old houses like this with lathe and plaster walls and lots of plaster mouldings.
This is the worst bit in part of our downstairs, back corridor…
The black pipes are the hot water pipes covered in insulation. The copper pipes were added a year ago to extend the heating and the white pipes were already here. It would be good to hide them all at some point – we’re not quite sure how yet. Another problem for another day.
The up-side is that we now have really hot water whenever we want it and it’s cheaper to heat. The pressure is better too as it’s running directly off the mains. It’s also another step forward in our master plan for this side of the house: we’ve got 3 small bathrooms to renovate and one of the large bedroom’s on the top floor is earmarked to become a fourth. It took a bit of time to persuade Ed of this plan but if you can’t have a huge bathroom in a house like this then when can you?
One of the lovely features of this room is the inside of the small round tower in the corner. At the moment it’s a semi-circular cupboard but I’m hoping to transform it into a walk-in shower.
Turning this vision into a reality is a long way off but ever since we bought the house I’ve been dreaming of relaxing in the bath in the middle of this room – a glass of something in my hand, a real fire burning in the hearth, taking in the view of the mountains in the distance as snow falls gently on the lawn. When that day comes my work here will be done.
There’s a crack in the lintel of the fireplace in the old kitchen. If you stand back far enough there’s also a slight bow.
It’s been like this for years but since we took the bricks out I’m a bit concerned it might be getting worse. As we had a builder round today to look at some pointing on the east wall we got him to take a look. He took unnervingly swift action (see below, you can see the crack above the left brick column) and suggested calling an engineer, which I did!
Whether the wall needs supporting or not the stone lintel still needs replacing, so excavation of the fire place is now on hold. Next job is to find a stonemason who can source the right piece of stone for us and get it in – and until this is done the rest of the work is going to have to wait. One step forward…
You’ve gotta love a mood board – and at last I’m starting. One of the previous owners of the house was an architect and he rather fortunately ringed the the walls of the huge main office with large foam pin boards. Given that we have 28 rooms, 8 different halls and several walk-in cupboards – all of which need a make-over, these boards are going to prove very useful. The house actually has 29 rooms but I’m not counting the wine cellar as Ed did this last year (see The most important room in the house Dec 10, 2013)
I have of course become an avid user of pinterest so for a closer look at our plans go to…